Wednesday, March 7, 2012

7/28/11

Today Jonah saw a big tomato and said, "Just like Jackies!"

He is recalling the two years he spent on the Hendrickson's farm 50 hours a week (and then some) while Jason and I worked. Every time he mentions Jackie, I cry. I cry because I miss her and her family, but mostly I cry because they were the best thing (next to his little bro being born) that ever happened to Jonah in his short life. I wrote this post before we left, but forgot to post it in the flurry of moving. So here it is:

I supposed every move is fraught with emotions. This one seems so much different than the last. Leaving my friends and family behind in Michigan was very difficult, yet I knew that it was my time to move on and start a new chapter in our lives. Now, I’m making this decision not only for myself, but also for Jonah. He is leaving behind the only world he’s ever known, which makes me terribly sad. I realize that he may never remember the first two years of his life here, but does that make it easier or harder? Easier for him. Harder for me. I have shed so many tears thinking of how I am ripping him from his surrogate extended family, the Hendricksons, with the intention of bringing him closer to his biological extended families the Meslins and the Malotkes. I am not questioning the decision, but I just can’t quite come to grips with it. I never imagined that we could be so blessed as to find a family to watch over Jonah while Jason and I worked. Not just one person, but a group of the kindest, most loving and affectionate people that I could ever want my child to encounter. Jackie, Wade, Brooke, Leigh, Colby, Blair and Teo have raised my son for the past two years – spending 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week nurturing him and helping mold him into the amazing little man that he is. How do you repay someone for that? And how do you say good bye?

Saying good-bye to them was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I cried so hard when we drove down that long gravel driveway for the very last time. I get to see them on facebook all the time and hopefully we'll skype soon. We miss you all!

Chloe, Blair, Jonah & Cody (taken on 7/29/11)

No comments: