Friday, March 2, 2012

4 weeks down, 11 more to go!


I can't believe it has already been 1 month since I began my personal crusade to eliminate the fat in my body!

To re-cap: my ultimate goal is to lose 25 lbs by Cathy's wedding (May 12th). I was originally hoping for April 1st (2 months), which I realize now, was a teensy-weensy bit ridiculous. So, I am re-assessing my goal and I think it is manageable, IF I stay on the track that I am on now!

I have lost a total of 7.5 lbs - give or take 1 lb because I don't have a digital scale and I'm realizing how hard it is to read those little marks for 5' 9" away.

If I pick up the pace, the next 17.5 lbs should just melt away. I need to average 1.5 lbs per week, so here is my plan: Instead of 20 minutes of Jillian everyday, I am going to try for 40-60 minutes 4x per week (I have a couple more work-out DVDs to change things up a bit). I typically do work-out during the kids' nap time - they both take one nap that coincides and provide me with AT LEAST 1 hour of 'free time' (to get approximately 5,000,000 things done). The opposing days I'll be working on my thesis (which is an entirely different blog post, upcoming).

I've also gotten even more serious about my eating - new favorite snacks: 1/4 cup of pineapple tidbits with 1/2 cup cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs (whites only) and I'm still digging my carrots and hummus, and just made a new batch of low-fat homemade granola to put on my Greek yogurt in the morning, or just nibble on. I am trying to kick the coffee-creamer habit (70+ calories for 2 Tbsp in 1 cup of coffee, is just ludicrous.)

Oh, I almost forgot! For all you milk drinkers out there, which I am, skim milk has 90 calories in 1 cup. That means that if you pour a full-size glass at dinner, that can be upwards of 150-200 calories, and if you refill (which I've been known to do) you are talk about 1/2 of your caloric intake for dinner!!! I know I need my calcium - but I can't afford calories like that! So, I've been using a juice glass and filling that up (about 1 cup) and NO REFILLS at dinner. I'll just take a supplement, if need be.

My other new trick is eating a peppermint candy after dinner. It is a sweet little treat, and it freshens breath, but it also has the same effect as brushing you teeth: everything tastes funny after you eat it. When that doesn't work, I just eat a hand full of m&ms....

Last, but not least, I noticed the advertisements for Silk Almond milk and they keep comparing how much calcium it has compared to cow's milk. Depending on which version you buy it also has only 1 gram of protein, whereas skim milk has 8 grams!

No comments: