Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Here I go, getting all political on ya...

Yes, I am going to blog about Jonah's potty training and my weekly meal planning, but that doesn't mean I don't want to blog about some serious issues too.

White women often don't know what it means to be racist. They assume because they don't HATE blacks or other people of color, they aren't racist, but it is so much more than that. If you've never been exposed to or studied black culture, been friends with black women or been called out for your racist comments, you may not realize just how racist you are. This video (a spoof of another video called "Shit Black Girls Say) is hilarious but has a serious undercurrent.

You may ask why I care to post this video - the truth is that feminism and civil rights are closely tied and as a feminist I also spent a lot of time learning about women of color and how their oppression differed from mine and how privileged I really was as a white woman.

Watch this and then take a minute to think about what side of this conversation you are on, and if you've been the one to say this sh--. I'm guilty of saying things are "ghetto" (namely, my phone), but I'll think twice before saying it again...

No comments: