Tuesday, October 19, 2010

share and share alike

So, I told a couple of coworkers a portion of my birth story today. Neither one has yet given birth, so my story was a little overwhelming - or, at the very least, gross! But it went beyond the birth and into the weeks following. I had a rough go of things, but I felt the need to share those stories with other women in an attempt to let others ask questions and say their concerns without feeling judged. I don't want to seem like I'm over dramatizing or asking for sympathy, because I don't need to do either. I do however, wish more people had been honest with me about their birthing experiences before I had a child. (Thanks to Kim H., Dana and Lacey who were very honest with me and shared all the stories, good and bad, and helped me prepare for Jonah-mo's arrival.)

While I'm on the subject....why is it that more women don't share their stories? Not just about giving birth and parenting, but about other things like where they get a fabulous haircut, how to make crock-pot chili, or why their husband rocks. I feel like there is so much conversation about negative things, complaining, and woe-is-me speeches. Why can't we open ourselves up a little bit to friends and strangers alike to share our positive experiences? All I know is that when someone has a good idea, good contact, or good relationship, I'd like to hear about it in the hopes that I can improve my life without having to go through the trial-and-error. Also, you shouldn't feel like your "bragging" when you score a great babysitter or when your husband takes you out for a nice dinner. The world could do with a few more happy stories like these, as opposed to everyone competing for the "worst something-or-other of the year award".

So, next time you have some happy news, or an important experience that you think might benefit others, share it, for gods sake! Encourage others to give you happy messages and do your best to re-direct those Negative Nellys, Debbie Downers, and Sad Sallys.

Speaking of Debbie Downer...

No comments: