Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Labor

Monday morning I woke up after a difficult night of sleep....random contractions kept waking me up throughout the night. They weren't regular, so I just tried to sleep as much as possible.

When I did finally wake up, I discovered my mucus plug had passed and I had some additional fluid leakage (sorry for the details). I wanted to make sure it was not a slow leak from my water bag so I called the midwife. I came into the office and she confirmed it was NOT amniotic fluid (good news) and then decided to do a non-stress test (which would have been done at my appointment on Tuesday anyway).

After 20 minutes on the fetal heart monitor, the baby's heart rate was awesome, and I discovered those little cramps I was having were actually mild contractions approximately 5-6 minutes apart. I was also dilated to 2 cm. Her best guess was that I would probably deliver within a day or two, but there was still a chance that the contractions would stop and that delivery was not eminent.

However, later in the evening the contractions became more intense, but stayed 5 minutes apart. I was able to sleep for about an hour at a time, with the really strong contractions waking me out of sleep. By 3:45 am I was up and timing them, rocking in my glider, reading a book and journaling. It is now 12:00 pm and the intensity of the contractions continues to increase but the space between them remains the same.

I did not go into work on Friday, Monday or Today. My due date was my last official day of work... which I am rather proud of!

My parents are still in Michigan, I am going to wait until we're leaving for the hospital to have them get in the car and start motoring. We won't leave for the hospital until the contractions are 3 minutes apart and I can't "breath through them" - meaning, they stop me in my tracks.

Jason is a gem - he is at my beck and call, but there isn't a whole lot he can do for me right now. He is standing by, waiting to whisk me to the hospital.

I may or may not be able to update this again before we leave, so keep your phone nearby and await a call from me, Jason, Michelle or Linda!!!

2 comments:

sarah debo said...

So happy to hear that baby Meslin is on the way!!! I am sure that you are all anxious to mee this baby and cuddle with him! Hope all goes well for you and the baby and he comes soon.

Christine said...

Oh Becca, Im so excited for you and Jason. Thanks for updating us :) You are going to have an amazing experience.
xo