Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Let's review the numbers...


My midwife examined me today to discover that I am 1 cm dilated, 80% effaced and the baby is at station -2. Additionally, their rough estimate is that the baby weighs 8 to 8.5 lbs. What does that all mean, you may ask?

DILATION: The amount the cervix has opened. I need to be 10 cm dilated in order to deliver (9 to go)
EFFACEMENT: The thinning of the cervix. I need to be 100% effaced to deliver - so I'm looking good here.
STATION: The position of the baby's head in relationship to the ischial spines (the bony parts that stick out on each side of the pelvis).
-5: baby's head is floating
0: baby's head is engaged
+5: baby's head is crowning
(refer to diagram above)

The size of the baby is no surprise, and if he/she decides to stay a little longer, that weight will only increase!

All-in-all, the numbers indicate good progress, but can't specify a delivery date. I technically have 8 more days until my due date, so I won't be taking matters into my own hands just yet (ie: trying at-home methods for inducing labor).

In a follow-up to my previous post: While my allergies and water retention are still in full-effect, the window-unit air conditioner was re-installed in my office today, providing some relief from the uncomfortable heat.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Oh, you are so close!! I say you will go before your due date ;) Cant wait....!

cindy said...

BECCA....THE LAST FEW DAYS ARE ALWAYS THE MOST........ICKY....LET'S JUST GET THIS OVER WITH.....I AM SURE YOU ARE AS BEAUTIFUL AS EVER.....AND I PICTURE IN MY MIND YOU AND JASON CELEBRATING THIS WONDERFUL EVENT...ALL SO WORTH THE MIRACLE YOU HAVE CREATED THROUGH LOVE..I AM ALSO EXCITED FOR YOUR MOM...SHE WILL ALSO BE FILLED WITH JOY AND PRIDE...LOVE YOU VERY MUCH~~AUNT CINDY

Sue B said...

Oh Malotke, I can't wait to get that call. You're sooooo close!
How's Jason??