Monday, December 15, 2008

Ultrasound!



It might be easier to see the baby like this:


Imagine it's standing, looking slightly to the left, waving it's right hand! (the large black circle on the baby to the right of the screen is the stomach)

Although I am technically 19 weeks + 4 days, the baby is measuring at 20 weeks+ 2 days.

Words can't quite describe the pure excitement we felt today. We laughed and cried tears of joy as we took the first glimpse of Baby Meslin. What an amazing experience this was. I can't believe what technology can do! The technician could measure the length of baby's bones, size of the skull and size of its body; she could tell me that the kidneys and bladder were working; she could see all four chambers of the heart; she could even tell us that the baby weighed approximately 12 oz. - healthy and growing at a perfect pace.

To see it open its mouth or move its hands, was surreal - we didn't want to leave that office. If everything goes according to plan, we won't see the baby again until it officially arrives*!! For now I am looking forward to feeling more movements and watching my belly grow :)

*For those of you who don't know, Jason and I are planning to have a lo-tech pregnancy and birth. Our first step was choosing a midwife as opposed to a OBGYN, we've also chosen to have only one ultrasound, and no first trimester testing. We have done our research and know what is available to us, but we're opting out of things that we feel aren't necessary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby Meslin is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! Oh....to see that image. Words cannot describe the joy of that black and white image on the screen. What a miracle....and it is all just beginning!! You will hold baby Meslin and think, "Wow, that was you on that screen". It is amazing and I am so happy your "BIG" ultrasound went so well! That is great you went the lo-tech route. Aaron and I choose not to do 1st tri testing as well. It is all up to God anyway....thanks for sharing :) I am so so so excited for you both..:)<3 Christine

Canning Tomatoes said...

So exciting and GOOD for you!!!! Email or call me and let me know how things are. Merry Christmas!

Your Favorite Sister-in-Law said...

Glad everything is fine and on schedule! Jason was really excited when he called. Hard to imagine my baby brother as someone's father but I'm certain you will both be fabulous parents to Baby Meslin. Take care and I'll see you next week.

mama said...

My one and only ultra-sound was you! At about the same stage of pregnancy. They were just starting to do them at that point in time...it was considered hi-tech. How I smiled and how I cried. My facination was the small dot that kept blinking at me, and the tech told me that was your heart!
How I love all three of you!!!
Mama