Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Holiday is Upon Us


We caught the matinee of the American Repertory Ballet's Nutcracker today. They are a professional ballet company but they also run the Princeton Ballet School where I take classes.

The performance was wonderful and the costumes were AMAZING. The only thing that could have made it better was a live orchestra, but otherwise it was simply spectacular. The opening scene brought me to tears....I mean, I am a little emotional right now, but really, it was just that beautiful.

It reminded me of my younger days in dance. I remember seeing these beautiful ballerinas so poised yet flexible, strong yet delicate - they are the embodiment of femininity - real life princesses - disciplined and gorgeous. (Disclaimer: The feminist in me is well aware of the strict gender roles at play in ballet and the idea that it creates unrealistic expectations for little girls. This knowledge does not change my appreciation for ballet as an art)

We left the theatre and ventured across the Delaware into New Hope for an early dinner at Marsha Brown: Refined Creole Kitchen & Lounge. The service was fabulous and the food was even better. We tried the following: Crab Cheesecake appetizer, Seafood Gumbo, Crab & Lobster Bisque, Jambalaya, and Atlantic Salmon - all of which we recommend.

For those of you who do not live in the Greater Philadelphia area (ie: friends and family) please know that if you come to visit, this restaurant will be on our list of attractions.

No comments: