Sunday, November 2, 2008

Suffrage: The right or privilege of voting.


The election is days away and many people have already voted – including me! I will be in Mexico for a friend’s wedding so Jason and I voted absentee. However there are many people out there who won’t vote early or at all...this notion continues to baffle me.

This week I watched one of my favorite movies: Iron Jawed Angels. A HBO film made just a few years ago, detailing the life and times of the women who gave the final push to win women’s suffrage through the 19th Amendment to the Constitution in 1920. The struggle that began with Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony in 1848, but was not won until long after their death. However, the powerful story is one ALL women should hear. I truly believe, if you watch that movie, you will feel the power and determination that drove these feminists and feel a social, political, and cultural responsibility to vote in every election.

It has an all-star cast with great historic accuracy, beautiful costumes, and commendable acting. Men should also be interested in watching this part of our nations history that is often left out of history books.

This movie moved me - it enraged me – it made me cry. Above all, it made me proud to be an American woman and thankful to my foremothers for their undying passion for the pursuit of equality that has allowed me the opportunities I enjoy today.

No comments: