Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I could have been a ballerina


After a serious hiatus from dance, I have returned to the past time I love so much. I began dancing at age 3 and practiced everything from pointe to clogging. Tap was always my (and my mother's) favorite but ballet was the integral foundation to all other classes.

I remember being enrolled in Suzette's ballet class and the severe discipline she would instill in us. To say she "yelled" would be an understatement...she struck fear into my heart and made me question my ability to dance on a weekly basis. I wasn't great, nor was I competitive like some of my friends - I was just happy dancing. After a while I didn't feel like there was a place for me at the studio, I got a little older and I decided to stop. I do regret it sometimes, but I'll never forget what I learned while dancing, nor will I ever regret all the years I danced.

American Repertory Ballet has a ballet school in Princeton (lucky me) and great adult evening classes. I'm in the beginner class on Wednesday nights and I AM LOVING IT! I wish I could take classes 3 nights a week but it would break my budget.

My instructor, Douglas Martin, is amazingly talented and funny. Gone are my days of fearing my instructor and anxiously praying for the minutes move faster. Now, I am dissapointed when I look at the clock and only 15 minutes are left of my 75 minute class.

Watching a beautiful ballet can actually bring me to tears and I love the way I feel while I'm dancing - like yoga or sewing, it provides me with a sense of zen. The rest of the world falls away and its just me and the music.

No comments: