Monday, August 4, 2008

cakes are my specialty

So, many of you know that I love things like cooking, sewing, crafting, etc. This in no way diminishes my status as a feminist. On the contrary, it only proves that feminism is truly about women having the freedom to make their own choices and not have a lifestyle forced upon them.

Having said that...growing up, my mother used to make and decorate amazing cakes for our family and for others (weddings, etc.). She always had the tools around the house (food dye, tips, pans) for me and my sister to use and play with. I have decorated many cakes, and while most were with great creativity, many were without proper technique. So, when I was asked at the last minute to take a Wilton cake decorating class at A.C. Moore (the NJ version of Michaels), I said 'what the heck'.

I didn't make it to all the classes, but I got the gist of things and managed to produce a couple of impressive cakes. I am thinking of taking the follow-up class to really hone my skills...maybe after I finish my thesis!


No comments: