Monday, February 4, 2008

out-o-shape

On Sunday, Angela invited me to her BodyStep class at the local gym. She is an amazing instructor.....I, on the other hand, am a horrible student. In spite of her uber-enthusiam and my excitment to try something new, 30 minutes into the 60 minutue workout, I felt light-headed and nearly passed out.

My sad body was ill-prepared for such a beating. I have vowed to return and complete the workout...someday. For now, my calves feel like they're wooden and I can't bear the thought of climbing my stairs to go to bed.

Although I haven't had a 60 minute aerobic workout since my dancing days (ballet, tap, jazz, etc), I was still dissapointed to discover how out of shape I really am. Also discouraging was my inability to learn a small series of moves in sequence. Seriously? I used to take 5 dance classes at once and master changing combinations of moves every week. What the heck happened to me?

I wanted to try the BodyJam class - hip hop infused aerobics - but now I am convinced I need to master the step class first before I make a COMPLETE fool of myself in the jam class.

I will not be defeated by the BodyStep!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sis, I hate to admit it, but I experienced the SAME THING (twice) at two different gyms with a step aerobics class! I thought I would check out the classes and learn as I go, but I did not envision getting my butt kicked by a stupid plastic step! In both classes (mind you, they were not "advanced" step), I was only about 15 mintues into the routine when I started hyperventilating and clutching my chest! I seriously thought something was wrong with me, so I started to slow down and drink water. When I started back up, again, heavy breathing kicked in and I could not continue. As discreetly as I could, I exited stage left. I was so embarassed and couldn't believe that the class was too much for me to handle. I've come to learn (the hard way) that step aerobics is a GREAT workout- but you must build up to it!