Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sew..... anyway.

I sew.
I love to sew.
It's a creative outlet and it makes me unique.

Many people see sewing as a 'lost art'. I think it is, but I also think that many young women WANT to learn how to sew, but don't ever take the plunge. Back in the 'ole days (great-grandma's generation), women sewed because they had to, not because they wanted to. Many women in my mom's generation had choices: 1) sew if you need to, 2) sew if you want to, 3)or don't sew at all. Now, with sweatshop labor in the Marianas Islands, you can't even make your own clothing for as cheap as they sell it at Wal-Mart!! (hint, hint)

My mom was a little of 1 & 2. Sewing allowed her, as an adolescent and an adult to construct beautiful well-made clothing that she might not have been able to afford at retail prices, all the while, loving it. She graciously bestowed the gift of sewing upon me and with it came so much more! Knowledge of fabrics, construction of clothing, appreciation for tailoring, and a love of the fashion design industry.

As a feminist, its sometimes hard to reconcile how the fashion industry/advertising objectifies women, with my love of beautifully crafted high-end clothing. So, I sew and remind myself that I too, can create beautifully crafted, tailored clothing of my own design and navigate around those designers who use advertisements to degrade women to sell, sell, sell, their line.

Today, I am working on my bathroom curtains.... and a new purse! yea!

No comments: