Monday, January 28, 2008

Golden Compass

So there was all this hub-bub over the movie The Golden Compass, starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. An e-mail circulated my office saying that it was "an anti-religion movie masked as a child's fairy tale." Last time I checked, all fairy tales threaten the fabric of Christianity because they often display a world without a Christian God. This argument has been made before and so long as Hollywood keeps making them, these movies will continue to be scrutinized.

Enough with the politics.....this movie (like the Chronicles of Naria, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings) was an amazingly creative and exciting adventure that left me breathless!!! I loved it! I got to see it with two of my nieces and my nephew, and watching a movie like this with kids transports you back to your own innocence.

I was thrilled to discover the main character was a young girl - fearless, smart, bright, beautiful, and curious. The actor who played her was skilled beyond her years. This was the first in a trilogy and I look forward to seeing her performance in the next two episodes.

The most exciting part of the movie was the polar bear warriors. Yes, polar bear warriors. They have British accents like the rest of the cast (love it!), beautiful armor, and in one scene there is a great battle that blew my mind. The graphics are so amazing that you forget for more than a few minutes that these are not REAL polar bears. So.....it was pretty violent. This should bother me, especially since my youngest niece was watching and she's only 4. On the other hand, it was two animals fighting which seemed wild-america-esque. Also, it was good-versus-evil kind of violent - so exciting - like when Wolverine kicks someones butt in x-men...its horribly violent (with the giant blades and all) but you know he's the good guy. I don't know now to reconcile all of this, but I do know that you should see this movie.

No comments: